Saturday, October 20, 2007

This is the problem when you make picks on high school football games.
You almost need a crystal ball to predict the weather, injuries and other factors that come into play because had I known that Windham would meet Ledyard on a field more suitable for ducks, the pick would have been easy.
I'm not making excuses, now, I did pick Windham to beat Ledyard and Brian Crudden wasn't making excuses either. The Windham coach, standing in the rain as he had all night, agreed with Ledyard coach Bill Mignault that football was made to be played in weather like we had Friday night.
I think most of the media would agree and, why not, it's fun to watch especially when you're huddled in a press box protected from the elements. (By the way, I was the one who led the charge to shelter when the rain started pouring down in buckets).
But it did take away from Windham's game which is built on speed. Ledyard is the king of the bull rush and that's essentially what the Colonels did all night. Three passes, a couple of reverses, the rest were straight ahead dives, sweeps and counters using their big backs Stephen Jenkinson and Chris Blomstedt.
After the game was over, I had to find my way across the field to where the car was parked (why I chose Friday night to park as far away as possible is beyond me) and it was difficult even to walk on, much less run and cut.
But this is high school football and the unpredictability of it is what makes it fun (as long as you don't have to try and make picks each week!).

No comments: