Monday, October 22, 2007

The happiest guy at the Eastern Connecticut Conference's Cross Country Championship meet last Thursday?
That had to be Andrew Hill from Bacon Academy.
The sophomore did something he hasn't been able to do all season, beat Jason Cusack of Griswold to the finish line as he placed third overall behind the likes of Mike Miner of NFA and Mike Berkowicz of Woodstock.
"I wanted to place (Thursday) but I didn't expect to come in third but I stayed with the front pack and eventually pulled it out in the end," Hill said.
"I've been trying to beat Cusack all year and I finally got him (Thursday), I was just trying to stay in front with everybody and I felt pretty good out there."
Hill suddenly finds himself in the favorite's role next year as both Miner and Berkowicz are seniors although there is still more to accomplish this season.
The biggest day of the year in cross country comes up this Saturday as all of the state's teams will gather at Wickham Park in Manchester for the cross country state championship races on Saturday.

No comments: