Saturday, June 13, 2009

State championship odyssey

I always love to see where state championship Saturday will take me, because it's always an adventure.
This year is no exception as I begin this Saturday at Palmer Field in Middletown where the New London Whalers are playing the Knights of Ellington for the Class M baseball championship.
I love Palmer Field, it's a great baseball venue, I just hate getting here. Coming from my home in Killingly, there's only one route that's even semi-direct and it's two-lane blacktop all the way on Route 66. It's a great road through the middle of the Connecticut countryside, but you don't get any where very fast.
From here, provided the weather doesn't go downhill, it's off to West Haven for the Class L girls softball championship game between Waterford and Darien at 3:30 p.m.
We finish off tonight at 7 p.m. in Stratford at DeLuca Field as Fitch meets Masuk for the Class LL girls softball state title.
Matt Stout, meanwhile, is headed to Trumbull to cover St. Bernard's Division II girls lacrosse state championship match with Immaculate at 3 p.m..
We'll keep you up-to-date as time, and facilities, permit.

No comments: