Saturday, October 25, 2008

Mixed blessings for Saints

The St. Bernard boys cross country team saw Justin Missey-Higgins win the Class S boys cross country individual state title today at Wickham Park in Manchester and right behind the junior in third place was senior teammate Joe Massad.
"I didn't really expect it, I thought we would go 2-3," Massad said about the pretty spectacular finish for the Saints."I thought the kid from East Hampton was going to win the race, but when I saw Justin pull ahead, I knew he had it all the way."
That was the good news for the Saints, the bad news came a bit later. Despite the first and third-place individual finishes for the Saints, St. Bernard placed third as a team, one spot out of automatically qualifying as a team for Friday's State Open.
"I thought it was between us and East Hampton (for second), so when I heard Thomaston was fourth, I was like 'Oh no'," St. Bernard coach Steve Moon said.
"It would be nice to get to the Open, that's our goal, but we ran our best and I can't ask for any more."

No comments: