Wednesday, December 12, 2007

It's a story that I have been meaning to write for a while.
I can't tell you how many times people have come up to me and said 'my son (or daughter) is Division I material'.
Usually, I just shake my head in a polite fashion and listen to what they have to say, all the while knowing that there are so few Division I basketball players that have come out of Eastern Connecticut.
You have to marvel at the three young men who have aspired to such lofty heights and have battled to get where they are.
Yes, they have God-given ability. Yes they have the bodies the college coaches are looking for but New London's Allan Chaney, NFA's R.J. Evans and Killingly's Shane Gibson also have the heart, desire and drive to make their dreams into reality.
Will they make it to the pros?
Who knows.
Chaney, if he performs well for Billy Donovan's program at the University of Florida, would have the inside track. Evans, at Holy Cross, and Gibson, at Sacred Heart, will have a tougher road. But all three have already learned and earned something from this great sport of basketball- an education.
Check out what the three players have to say about how to become a Division I basketball player in today's edition of the Norwich Bulletin and on-line at norwichbulletin.com.

No comments: