Friday, January 12, 2007

I had a chance to take in some of the first day of the World Baseball Coaches Convention on Thursday night and, if you're a coach, player or just fan of baseball, it may be worth your while to stop in as well at the Mohegan Sun Convention Center.
Now, you may ask yourself what this has to do with high school sports and the answer must be, plenty, since most of the local high school coaches were there.
Phil Orbe from Montville, Mike Garvie of St. Bernard, John Iovino of NFA, Ben Campbell from Woodstock, Dave Shea of Bacon Academy, Griswold's Kevin Trahan, Putnam's Dave Austin and John Schiffner from Plainfield were all in attendance Thursday night.
"Unbelievable," Schiffner said when asked if this was a treasure trove of information for a local baseball coach.
"I've been doing this for 29 years at a fairly high level so I'm supposed to have some of the answers but I learn things here every session that I go to that I can bring back to Plainfield High," he added.
The Convention continues today and tomorrow with Schiffner as one of the early featured speakers. Don Mattingly, B.J.Ryan and Steve Philips are amongst the featured speakers today.

No comments: